Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Best Gift Is Your Presence




PRESENCE:
- the fact of being in a particular place
- the area that is close to someone
- the fact or condition of being available to be used or considered

"Fear not [there is nothing to fear], for I am with you; do not look around you in terror and be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen and harden you to difficulties, yes, I will help you; yes, I will hold you up and retain you with My victorious [right] hand of rightness and justice. For I, the Lord God hold your right hand; I am the Lord, Who says to you, Fear not; I will help you." 
- Isaiah 41:10,13 AMP

I remember a time several years ago when a friend's mother passed away. I was home from college for summer break and went to see him, just to see how he and his family were coping with their loss. I had meant to express my condolences, but as the evening wore on we sat in the living room for a few minutes, talking about nothing in particular. I couldn't think of anything to say; to be honest, I didn't think anything I could say or do would help very much.  His family was grieving because their loved one was gone. How could I ever hope to make a difference? I thought.

But as I got up to leave, he shook my hand and thanked me for coming by. It was then that I realized I had done something for him. He didn't need me to say anything. I didn't need to do anything for him either. All he needed was for me to be present to let him know he had my support during a most difficult time in his life. All I had to do for him was show up, be there for a few minutes so he could unburden his heart any way he needed to, and let him know I had his back.  That's all that was necessary, and he let me know he appreciated me for doing so.

Now we may not know anyone who is going through such a tough time emotionally, as the loss of a loved one, but there are still many of us who know people in our lives who have needs, and we overextend ourselves in an effort to provide for them what we think they need, only to later discover that they don't need nearly as much from us as we think they do. If you're a parent you can relate to what I'm saying. Sometimes we parents tie ourselves up in knots, stressing out over what we think our children need, bending over backward to make sure they have everything we can possibly provide for them.  And then we find out, much to our surprise, they didn't want or need nearly as much as we thought they did. We get hung up on presents when all our children want is our PRESENCE. In my experience, when my children were babies, more often than not they would get upset if I left them in a room by themselves (like bedtime for instance) because they wanted was to know that I was around. If I was in the room with them and they were secure in the knowledge that I was there, they had no problem falling asleep, and staying asleep. 

It's true with any relationship you have, business or personal: we all relate best to people they can count on to be around, even if they're not physically present, safe in the knowledge that their presence is a factor. More than anything, people don't want to know if you are able, they want to know if you are AVAILABLE.  They want to know that whatever they do, wherever they go, they are not alone. As the saying goes, "no man is an island," and it is true in any area of life. 

People want to know that whenever they need leadership and guidance, they can find it. Yes, it is true that like baby eagles one day they will need to leave the nest, but they want to know there is someone who is willing to show them how to spread their wings, to set an example they can follow so they'll be ready to soar when their time comes.  As children learning to ride our bicycles we had tricycles, then training wheels, and then we were able to take the training wheels off and ride our bikes, fully capable of keeping our balance all by ourselves. That type of guidance isn't always needed, but it's good to know it's there.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel like you're all alone." - Robin Williams 

Never take for granted the power you have to influence someone's life for good. You can make a positive impact in the lives of every person whose path you cross. A kind word in their hearts can do more for their lives than a full tank of gas can do for your car. 

"I can live for two months on a good compliment." - Mark Twain

"A life is not important, except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

When all is said and done, it is not any gift or talent you possess that will impress the people in your life. It is your presence that will mean the most to them, and your presence alone which will make the biggest impact.

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Don't just be present in their lives, be a presence. Make an impact, make a difference. And when you do, people will remember you with gratitude because this is how you made them feel:



That's all for now, gotta run.  Until we meet again, remember:

Keep it simple....  See ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment