Wednesday, July 22, 2015

What Matters Is The Company You Keep...And That Keeps YOU

Like a lot of people, I enjoy eating out from time to time. I might go to a fast food restaurant, a diner, or something more upscale. I may even go to a buffet restaurant, which I know some people don't care for, but to each his own, right..?

Anyway, I have a simple rule for going out to eat: there is no "one size fits all" mentality when it comes to such places. Just because I went to a Burger King or McDonald's or Subway on a particular day doesn't mean I'll visit every one I see. The name on the door may be the same, but each location is different. Everyone is not worthy of my time, my attention... or my money. For instance:

Several months ago I went to a particular Dunkin Donuts shop in town. Three or four of them are in the area, and I went to the one I thought was the most convenient because it was the closest...or so I thought. 

Big mistake!  Why? 

Because the folks who worked there did everything they could to make my visit a miserable one.  How you ask? Well, it had to do with their WiFi service. Let me explain...

I noticed the shop had Free WiFi, so I figured I'd use it while I was there. I was told I'd have to buy something to use their WiFi. No big deal I thought, so I bought a bagel and some iced tea and went back to my work. Then things got worse. 

The staff there told me I was staying in their store too long and it was time for me to leave. I was just minding my business, not bothering anyone. I even showed them what I was working on but they didn't care. They said I had to go. And not very politely, I might add. They spoke to me like I was a criminal. Very rude.  

(I later found out people went there to view some offensive videos on the shop's WiFi, but that had nothing to do with me). 

Things got so bad that I complained about it to the company, but all I got in response was an email from the franchise owner who tried (unsuccessfully, mind you) to explain his staff's actions, saying they had the right (so-called) to "encourage" me to vacate the premises. (A letter I still have, by the way)

After reading his email, I decided that replying was a waste of time. So I took my business (and my money) elsewhere. I chose other Dunkin Donuts' shops in the area to visit and I'm so glad I did. My experience at the other shops was much better; nobody bothered me at the other locations, no matter how long I stayed. (and yes, I used their WiFi, too)

The people at the first store never have to worry about seeing me again. Due to their lack of people skills (and goodwill), they lost not only my business but also lost the business of friends and family too...because you KNOW I steered them clear of that place, of course. (Good news travels fast, bad news much faster)

The negative experience I had at that Dunkin Donuts shop did not discourage me from doing business with any other Dunkin Donuts shops in the area. It just kept me from doing business with THEM. And since I had another place to go where I could enjoy Dunkin's products, it was that shop's loss and my gain.

That experience also taught me something else very important, which I want to share with you. And that is this:

You are not entitled to anybody's time or resources. If they decide to invest anything with you it is a privilege, not a right. You should be grateful that they saw any value in you at all, and be quick to express that gratitude with an attitude of humility. It wouldn't hurt for you to say Thank you to them. I remember, my mother telling me back in the day you should always say thanks to someone who does something nice for you. That lesson still applies, even with the passing of time.

That being said, you should also remember this: 

People do business with people, not companies. People establish relationships with people they know, like and trust. This is just as true of business relationships as it is of personal ones. The name on the door doesn't mean a thing if the people inside turn customers away with bad attitudes, poor service, or both. 

Paraphrasing the late great Duke Ellington, your name don't mean a thing if you got nothing good to bring... Get my meaning?

So long story short, if you want to build a relationship, a business, a team, or anything of significance, you would do well to treat people who come across your path as the valuable treasures they are. Don't take them for granted, not even for a second. 

Because whether you realize it or not, those people can make your success...or break it.  The company that keeps you is just as important as the company you keep.

That's all for now, gotta run.  Until next time...keep it simple.

See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment