Thursday, March 17, 2016

Lend Them Your Ears

ATTENTION: 
- the act or power of carefully thinking about, listening to, or watching someone or something
- notice, interest or awareness; special care or treatment
- observation, notice: especially: consideration with a view to action

"Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears..."
- Mark Antony, from the play 'Julius Caesar,' by William Shakespeare, Act 3, Scene 2

Recently one of my sisters shared a concern with one of her sons. She's taking care of a newborn and sees her 3 year old getting bored. She wants to help him but doesn't know what she can do.

I didn't know what to do either so I just listened as she vented her frustration.

Another one of my sisters is gung ho about health and fitness. Because of her busy work schedule any time spent at the gym is a precious commodity. She works hard to improve her health and talks often about taking personal responsibility for her wellness.

Again I didn't know what to do other than listen, so I gave her my attention and considered what she said. Not just because she's my sister but because I think she's right. I also have an interest in health and wellness so hearing what she had to say was not a problem.

Because I listened intently I was able to share some information I picked up when I was out and about that helped both of them:

For the "new mom" sister I shared a website I found for a youth soccer program geared to children around her son's age, a program not far from her house.

For my "health and wellness" sister I shared an online article that reveals 16 different foods that can burn belly fat. Some of the foods she was already eating but others were a pleasant surprise.

My sisters greatly appreciated what I shared with them, for two reasons:  

First, because it was just the kind of knowledge they needed for their particular situation, and...

Second, because I listened to what they had to say, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to help them resolve their problems. 

Both situations reminded me of a very important lesson, a lesson that is required for anyone who wishes to be successful in any area of life, whether personally or professionally.

I'll share more details about that lesson next time, but here's a hint. It's something I learned as a child and taught it to my own children when I became a parent. It goes something like this:

God gave us two eyes, two ears, and one mouth because that's how often He wants us to use them...  DO THE MATH..!!!

That's all for now, gotta run.  Until next time, remember...

Keep it simple...  See ya!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment