Friday, April 18, 2014

Always Be Enthusiastic

PASSION: 
- a strong feeling of enthusiasm or excitement for something or about doing something
- a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object or concept

ENTHUSIASM:

- strong excitement about something: a strong feeling of active interest in something you like or enjoy
- something causing of feeling of excitement and active interest
- strong excitement of feeling
- something inspiring zeal or fervor

"This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the community, and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for a moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations." - George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)


Robert Kiyosaki, author of the Rich Dad Poor Dad series and financial education expert says, "True passion attracts. If you have passion in your business, the right people will be attracted to your team."   I couldn't agree more. I believe this applies to one's entire life, not just in the business realm. Anything you are excited about, anything you feel a great sense of conviction about, anything you do with great energy and enthusiasm, is going to attract the attention of others, especially people who have a great interest in what you're doing and would like to follow your example.


In personal relationships, particularly those of a romantic nature, it is the one who makes himself or herself attractive that is most likely to get noticed.  And when I say attractive, I don't speak only of one's outward appearance or hygiene (but admit it folks, that does help). I'm referring to someone who lives life from the inside out, with a sense of joy in all they say and do. That type of energy is infectious, almost like a virus. In Frank Bettger's classic book, How I Raised Myself From Failure To Success In Selling, the author shares as his first and most important principle, "...act enthusiastic, and you will be enthusiastic." He shares a story in the first chapter of the book that demonstrates how acting enthusiastic when he really didn't feel like it made a big difference in his performance, and his results.

I read a quote not long ago which I agree with wholeheartedly. It said this: "People don't stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing." When we lose the joy of living, the joy that can be found in doing something that brings pleasure to our life and to the lives of others, we can begin to feel there is no reason to live. Joy is strength, and sorrow is weakness. And it is true, nothing of any great significance happens in life until someone gets excited about something.  You'll eat it, sleep it, breathe it, walk it, talk it, live it. You won't be able to help it, because what you're excited about will dominate your thoughts and actions to such a degree that people will come and look your way just to see what all the fuss is about. Years ago someone told me this:

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. The only difference between women and girls is the length of their pearls. 


Well over the years I've come to see things a bit differently. I've come to realize that over the years that what is most true is this: it is childlike joy that makes the girl and boy. Look in the sports world for proof of this. You want to see some excited people? Watch a game when a championship is on the line. It doesn't matter which sport you like, the principle is the same. Competitors on both sides giving their all, playing their particular sport at high octane levels, all for the chance to hold the ultimate prize when the final horn, bell, whistle sounds, or the last out has been made. As they celebrate the victory, they realize the price is worthy of the prize. And you know what else? Not only are the players excited, but the fans are too. Why? Because when you play your sport, and you play well, with a wholehearted sense of purpose, excellence, conviction, zeal, passion, fervor, whatever you call it, and you do so holding nothing back, you draw attention to what you're doing. You can't help doing so.

I have witnessed this two-fold in my life, starting on November 16, 1997, and again on September 7, 2003. Those are the days I met my children, my son and daughter. They truly are a joy to me, and they make me glad to be a dad. Every laugh and smile I shared with them is one I wouldn't trade for anything in this world. They are the reason I looked forward for such a long time to be a dad, and my belief that becoming a dad would be a worthwhile journey has been more than justified. I told my children to always be excited and enthusiastic, and I can say for sure that they not only listened, but they taught me a thing or two about how to live with joy, passion, and enthusiasm. It is easy to be around someone who is enthusiastic, full of joy, full of life. Not only will you want to be around them, but you will find that as you spend more time around and enthusiastic person you will reflect the joy they have in your own life. You can't help yourself, that kind of feeling is contagious.  The more you get, the more you want.

So let me say it plainly if you haven't already gotten the message: Frank Bettger says when you act with enthusiasm you will become enthusiastic. In life. In sports. In music. In love and romance. With your family. In business. You will draw people to you like bees to honey because they will be attracted by your joy and your energy. Your passion and conviction will weave a spell that captivates them. The more they see what you do, and see what you do in an excellent manner, the more they'll want to know about what you do. And when they know more about what you do, they may want to do it too. It's contagious, it spreads like wild fire...and best of all, it's FUN! People like fun people. That's the fact, Jack.  Be fun to be around, and more people will want to be around you...get the picture?

Live with enthusiasm. Live with passion. Live with purpose. Live with conviction. Be attractive, full of joy and laughter, zest, gusto, vim and vigor. Be a fun person to hang around. And who knows? Before long, with your new found (or rediscovered) zest for life, you could attract so many people to you that you become known as the "cold" that everyone wants to catch...

AHH...AHH...AHHHHHHHH........CHHOOOOOOOO......!!!!!!!

That's all for now, gotta run....until we meet again, remember folks:

Keep it simple.....

See ya!


Frank Bettger's How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling: A modern-day interpretation of a self-help classic (Infinite Success Series)

No comments:

Post a Comment